Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Sunday 5 August 2012

Teaching Goals - June 8th 2012


June 8th 2012
             Today was the first time that I was actually hot. It was very humid, and didn't rain at all so it will probably be worse tomorrow. Three of us have fallen ill to either vomiting or diarrhea, but all of us will be in their shoes before long. They keep reminding us to drink a lot of water, but there is only so much I can drink in one day. It was difficult to eat today because of the heat and humidity, but I powered through. As I was getting ready this morning I could hear a woman singing gospel songs and Amazing Grace. It was beautiful. Food today included maize for breakfast, hot rolls, and coffee (instant, but it's delicious!). For lunch we had rice, spaghetti, spicy meat sauce, and apples (which I peeled because they warn us about eating fruit skin). For dinner we had a chicken stew, cooked plantains, steamed vegetables, pineapple, watermelon, and mango. The mango is phenomenal, nothing like in the states.
            We had many sessions today including a PST (pre-service training) overview and information on malaria. I had to get two shots today: Typhoid and Hepatitis A (which I'll have to get again in six months). We spent a lot of time on language, which I think I'm starting to catch on to. Hopefully at least because tomorrow they are sending us out of what they call Accra Quest. Basically they give us some money for transportation and send us out of our own for a scavenger hunt. The PCVL's and training staff did a reenactment of what our first experience on a trotro (shuttle van) will be like, and it looks terrifying. But I'm excited. They stress how willing the Ghanaians are... if we just ask. If we can all survive, we will be sworn in on August 16th.
            We went over some of the goals of teachers in Ghana:
1. Teach students
2. Collaborate with other teachers to learn from them, and teach them.
3. Find available resources in the community and develop new ways to use them to enhance the community.
            We are also expected to do a secondary project and I think I'd like to do an afterschool program for girls who are interested in Math. By the time students reach Junior High School, most of them are boys because the girls are needed elsewhere. Unfortunately, many of the girls dislike math because they think it is too hard for them. I'd like to have the girls who are more advanced in the subject tutor the girls who are struggling. This is a great learning opportunity for both groups.
            We also spent a lot of time talking about keeping ourselves safe while in Ghana. Always being aware of your surroundings is crucial, along with integrating into your community. The better your relationship is with those around you the more likely they are to watch out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment