Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Thursday 23 August 2012

Saviefe Gbogame

Well the last few weeks have been crazy! I passed my language exam, which means that I can successfully introduce myself and my family, shop in the market, ask for/get directions, give my daily routine, and some other randoms things. We were all officially sworn in as volunteers on August 16h, 2012. It was really hard to say goodbye to our home stay families the next day. How can you thank someone enough that has taken care of you for almost 3 months, and considered you part of their family?
We travelled to Bunsu College on Friday to do some cross-sector training in the fields of Health, Agriculture, and Water-Sanitation. This was a completely volunteer led training so it was a lot of fun and hands on. We learned about malaria, compost pits, latrines, soak-away pits, nutrition, baby-weighing, chicken/rabbit rearing, bee-hiving, growing vegetables, school gardens, and the list goes on. We were also able to network with other volunteers, get the inside scoop, and ask a ton of questions. On Sunday morning we all left for our sites. Mine, which I've said before, is Saviefe Gbogame. I've been spending time unpacking, hanging picture, meeting people, eating, decorating, walking around, playing with kids, etc. I love my village and all of the people here. Maybe I am just biased because Volta is my region, but I really feel like it's the best region (even though there's many I haven't been to). Everyone here is more relaxed, and it's quieter. It is also nice to be able to finally use the language that I have been learning even though it is slightly different here than the dialect that I learned. It was hard to leave all the friends I've made over the last few months knowing that I won't be seeing them again until November (you can't leave your site at all for the first three months), but we all plan on staying in contact. I know it will fly by with school starting up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment