Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Sunday 5 August 2012

Boti Falls, CRIG, and Ewe - June 29th 2012

June 29th - Boti Falls, CRIG, and Ewe
            So we finished practicum today. The students and teachers put together a little goodbye ceremony for Lou and myself and they gave us each 2 yards of batik fabric (which I have already dropped off at the seamstress to have a dress made). A lot has happened recently but I have been too busy/tired to write about it. We did go to the Ohoum festival on the 22nd but we didn't see any traditional rituals. We just saw the chief being carried in a chair down the street. Then the whole city turned into a dance festival.
            On the 24th we went to the Boti Waterfalls, which were awesome. We did a two hour hike that was basically climbing straight up and down the side of mountains. The views were unbelievable though and we even got pizza at the end.
            Those of you who have known me for some time know just how clumsy I can be... Well, I managed to drop my phone that I bought here into a puddle of water. Now it doesn't really work so I unlocked my smartphone that I  brought from home, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the internet to work.
            My family has been collecting snails which we are supposed to eat one of these days. That should be interesting.
            On the 28th we went to the Cocoa Research Institute of Ghana (CRIG) to learn about cocoa trees and harvesting them. They gave us all fresh cocoa which I love! It comes in small football shaped hard shell type things and on the inside are the cocoa pods. You don't eat the pods/beans themselves, but you eat the white soft "meat" from around the pod. It tastes nothing like chocolate, but it's sweet. They use all of the parts of the plant though and are able to make soaps, lotions, cleaning supplies and cocoa gin.
            I found out that I'll be learning Ewe and going to the Volta region on the east side of Ghana. Ewe is actually spoken in many areas of Ghana and across West Africa. I am lucky because there is a man that lives in my house who speaks Ewe so he is going to help me with my language skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment