Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Monday 27 August 2012

Global Evangelical

I guess I am the newest member of the Global Evangelical Church in my community. Although I don't go to church in the states and I had planned to stay away from religion while in Ghana I've decided that it's not the worst thing to do on a Sunday for 3 hours. It was actually a good time and the whole congregation was very friendly. It will be a good way to get to know people, practice my language, and integrate into the community. They translated the important parts for me, made me dance, made me go up in front of everyone to introduce myself (which was super embarrassing), and gave me their blessings.
I traveled into Ho to go to the market which was a lot of fun. I realized that I didn't buy the one thing I seem to really need which is tupperware containers. I have hundreds of these teeny teeny tiny little ants that are everywhere. They seem to even be able to get into my zip lock bags... not cool. I just keep killing like 20 at a time and they just keep coming back.
Well since the last time I wrote I was able to officially meet the chief and elders after it was put off 5 times between my first site visit and since I've been here. They recorded all of my information and told me that if there was any problem at all I could come to them. We even did the traditional shot of gin (at 6am by the way) which is a way to "wash the feet of newcomer and welcome them into the community). On Wednesday I will be formally introduced to the whole community. There is a convention in my town for 10 days and the people come from all over Ghana, Togo, and a few other countries I think. Many of them don't speak the local language and I can't recognize the people that are from my village compared to those who are new so they just look at me really weird when I try to great them, and then someone else has to tell me they aren't from this village.
What else is new?
I get to run a little store type thing that belongs to Da Mama, who has kind of taken me under her wing. I have started to know all of the prices, and it's a lot of fun :)
School starts one week from tomorrow. AHHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment