Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Care Packages!

Ok so many of you have been asking about care packages… so here it is.
I have been told that the best way to send things in through the US Post Office (if you know of a better way let me know). You can get flat rate boxes and they are the cheapest for me to pick up (I have to pay to pick them up). I’m not really sure how it works, but I understand that they can run on the pricey side? Maybe it could be a birthday (November)/Christmas type thing? You can also send padded envelopes for much cheaper if the item isn’t fragile. I know there’s a list of things you’re not allowed to send through the mail, but you’d have to check with the post office to find out what that is.
So I’m definitely not suffering over here by any means but there are a few things that would be nice to have. Feel free to choose anything from this list or get creative!
Be sure to write “AIR MAIL” on anything you send and when writing the contents of the package write “used” for everything – I guess this makes it less likely for people to try and steal? But I’m not really sure if that’s true.
Please comment as to what you are sending so I don’t get duplicates of things like books or anything else I wouldn’t want multiples of. Most of the stuff I’ll always be able to use though.


Address:
Samantha Bobbe, PCV
Peace Corps Ghana
P.O. Box 5796
Accra-North, Ghana
West Africa

Stuff for the kids in town:
-children’s books
-coloring books with colored pencils
-the school age girls are required to shave their heads so hair accessories are out, BUT they all have their ears pierced so earrings are in
-toys – they really like little knick knack type toys
-learning games
-that colored string to make friendship type bracelets
-bubbles
-nail polish

For me:
-dry soup mixes that come in the bags and you just add water and boil
-stuff to make s’mores, or candy in general. The chocolate here is terrible
-powered drink mixes
-zip lock bags – bugs get into EVERYTHING here, tin foil, zip lock containers
-shells and cheese (it is really really hard to find cheese here and when you do its super expensive because they don’t really have milk – don’t send anything that needs milk!)
-books – I’ve got some of the new ones like the girl with the dragon tattoo series, and the 50 shades of grey series so not those ones
-toothpaste – they have toothpaste here but it’s gross
-shampoo and conditioner is really hard to find here and it’s expensive. I prefer the 2 in 1 types
-seeds – I want to make a garden at my school. I already have cucumber, cabbage, squash and beans so don’t send those ones.
-spices for food
-raisins
-hand sanitizer
-clorox wipes
-cheese-its
-olive oil (they have it here, but it’s super expensive)
-pepperoni
-plain colored t-shirts - size medium (avoid red and black because they are mourning colors) – can be used as “bubble wrap”
-candles – I’m a big fan of the summer/fall scents (apple, pumpkin, spice, flowers, beachy), not a big fan of the winter ones though (mint, evergreen, etc)
-printed off pics of friends, family (the internet takes a long time to load fb pics)
-bug spray
-citronella candles
-benadryl
-a fast drying towel – I only brought regular ones which don’t do well with washing and line drying
-duracell rechargeable batteries (they have lime green on them)
-I want to learn to play guitar so I think I’m going to buy one but I need a “guitar for dummies” type book and maybe some music books
-Q-tips
-beef jerky
-nail polish
-white out pens for grading
-deodorant – any female type EXCEPT fresh powder (they have it here but it’s not good)
-a yoga book – in case I get reallyyyy bored
-dresses – must be at least knee length
-dried fruit/nut mixes
-any type of food things that just require water/eggs/oil and heat (I do have a gas burner)
-spice packets – taco, pesto, alfredo
-tuna and chicken packets – they have mayo here
-I don’t have much music so if you want to fill a cheap flash drive with the music you know I like or the latest in the US that would be awesome! I stole some music from all the other trainees, but it’s a random assortment. I’m especially lacking in the country department. If you have books in PDF format they can also be added to the flash drive.


That’s all I can think of for now, let me know if there’s anything you have questions on, need clarification, or have an idea but you’re not sure it would be good/work.
Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment