Pictures!!!

This is the link to my facebook album from Ghana. Enjoy!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4116076068583.171675.1483650181&type=3&l=0b59b0f033

Follow by email!

If you insert your email address into the space below it will email you every time I update :)

Saturday 19 October 2013

I'll sleep when I die

HOLY CRAZINESS! The past few months have flown by so fast I can’t even believe it.
My form 3 students wrote their B.E.C.E. exams in June. There was a whole lot of cramming going on and last minute study sessions. We got our results back and we have a 65% pass rate which sounds low but it's a huge improvement from last year's 18%. We're very happy about it but we know we still have a long way to go. 


I had my Mid-Service medical exams. It’s basically just a physical to make sure we haven’t contracted some weird disease or something. They send you to the dentist for a cleaning and make you provide stool samples… not at the same time. Cleaning wasn’t bad, but it turns out I had some parasite living in me. No big deal, I was told they’re not harmful and I have no side effects. We took advantage of being in the capital by splurging on bacon cheese burgers and more jelato than a person should ever consume in one sitting. It was worth it.
It’s getting to the point where it’s a weird thing to be around such large groups of Americans. I’ve grown so accustomed to being surrounded by Ghanaians all day every day that large groups of Americans can be kind of overwhelming which is a very strange feeling.
We started vacation in July but I didn’t really get much of a vacation. I’ve become very active in a group called Peace Corps Diversity and Support (PCDS) which is essentially a volunteer support network. We also do training with the Ghanaian staff members/community counterparts to teach them about the different diversity issues between Americans and Ghanaians. I really enjoy doing these sessions because it gives them a chance to ask the questions that they’ve been burning to ask other Americans, but they just didn’t feel comfortable. It also allows us to educate them about some of the do’s and don’ts with Americans which revolve mostly around personal space. Ghanaians don’t have the concept of personal space. I’ve gotten pretty used to this now and my “bubble” has drastically decreased. Sorry in advance about that when I come home. Anyways, I had a bunch of PCDS trainings/meetings over this said “vacation” which kept me quite busy.
I went to a workshop ran by Grassroots Soccer. This is a program that was developed in South Africa to teach kids about HIV/AIDS through fun, interactive games and demonstrations. They’ve partnered with the Peace Corps and are now working in countries all over the world, including (drum roll please!) GHANA! So they’ve developed a whole curriculum for Peace Corps Volunteers to take back to their communities to teach their kids. It includes tons of energizers, ice breakers, games, lessons, discussion questions, activities, and assignments for the kids to do. I’ll have my first practice this coming Thursday and I’m really excited about it. We are planning to do a Grassroots Soccer Camp this coming January if we can figure out funding. We’ll have about 25 kids from around my region come together at the beach for this camp. Their days will be full of things like team building activities, life skills lessons (budgeting, education, etc.), health education (malaria, nutrition, menstrual cycles, etc.) and the main focus will be on HIV/AIDS. I’ll keep you posted on our progress.
I’m working on something called the Village Bicycle Project (VBP) which is an organization that people can donate new or lightly used bicycles to and then they turn around and sell them for very low prices in African villages. They have a few different styles ranging from 35-45 Ghana Cedis (18-23 USD). Awesome right! Many people would greatly benefit from a bicycle to get to school, farm, the next town etc. It is also a good form of cardio exercise because many Ghanaians suffer from high BP, high cholesterol, and other diseases that are related to not enough exercise. The people running the program here come to the village to deliver the bicycles and spend the day teaching people how to ride the bikes and also how to fix their own bicycles. This makes the program sustainable.
In Ghana they have National Health Insurance. To register a child for the first time it is 4 cedis (2 USD), but many parents don’t have that money. Even if they do, they might not have the means of transportation to the nearest registering site or they might not be able to leave home for the day to go and register their children. Another issue is that parents feel that their children are healthy so they don’t need the insurance. The problem with this is that then their children come down with a serious illness and the treatment is way too expensive for them to afford so the child ends up seriously suffering, or even worse, dying. When you first register, it takes about 3 months for the card to be activated so if you wait until your child is sick, it is often too late. The insurance cards need to be renewed every year (2 cedis) but if a person has the card it reduces health care/medications to an extremely low cost. Anyways, I’m trying to help a friend who works with the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) to do a project that he has been thinking about for some time now. Since the registering office is located in the regional capital, many people don’t come because it is too far and they can’t rationalize spending the money when their child seems to be healthy. He wants to find funding to pay for not only the transportation of the NHIS workers to get and from the villages, but also to cover the 4 cedis registration fee for children under 18 years old. Once people have the card they are way more likely to seek medical help when their child falls sick because they know the medical costs will be reduced to almost nothing. If we show up in their village offering this service for free, they will have no reason not to register. This will also give people to renew their cards if they have expired and it will allow for adults to register for the first time. A few weeks a boy a boy in my village who has epilepsy died while having a grand mal seizure. People are saying it was a spiritual attack. If he had had a health insurance card, maybe his parents would have taken him to the hospital where he would have been placed on the correct medications.
I went to the Yam Festival last weekend which can only be described as the Ghanaian version of Mardi Gras. Lots of alcohol, lots of skin, lots of dancing, etc. It was a really good time. I’ll post picture/videos as soon as possible.
Other than that, school started last week. This year I will be teaching Math in Form 1, ICT (computers) in Form 1, 2, and 3, and English in Form 2. All is the same as last year except for the English which I am actually really excited about.
I had dinner with the Deputy Chief of Mission of the United States Embassy in Ghana. Her name is Patricia Alsup and she is such an amazing woman. She was so genuinely interested in all of the projects we are doing and she was really supportive.
Things I’ve checked off my bucket list recently:
Vomiting out the window of a moving vehicle. Now, before you jump to conclusions, there was no alcohol involved. I think it was the combination of having a crazy driver and the large bowl of cereal and milk I had for breakfast after not eating much dairy for over a year. Once I was able to get out of the car and continue my business, I’d say about 30 Ghanaians came to the side of the road to see the commotion with the white lady. I got a couple of “Oh sorry, you’re sick” comments but my favorite was “Oh sister, you’re vomiting.” I managed to reply “Yes, yes I am.”
I ate bush antelope which I thought would taste a lot like venison, but it tasted a lot like goat. It was pretty good though.
Using a washing machine for the first time in a lonnnngggg time. It was nice.

Well I think that’s it for now. I’m sure I've forgotten a whole lot. Sorry about that, but this is the best I can do!

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment